Pages

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Nightwing Vol. 3: Nightwing Must Die by Tim Seeley (Illustrations by Javier Fernandez)



Rarely do I enjoy superhero dialogue as much as in this volume! I thought for sure this would garner 5 stars from superhero fans, so was shocked to see some really low ones. Then I started reading why...

I need to take a minute and rant. If you're a diehard nerd wading through hundreds of trade paperbacks every month, complaining about whether or not every detail is "canon" and how nothing will never be the same as your favorite edition of blah-blah-blah...then maybe your 1-2 star whiny reviews belong elsewhere. I found nothing of actual merit in them, but rather found myself reacting like so many people who shy away from the nerd realm due to snobbery.

Rant over. For the rest of us muggles, Nightwing Vol. 3: Nightwing Must Die is a fast-paced and wonderfully illustrated chapter in the quests of Nightwing and Robin. The chracter relationships and enemy dynamics were realistic and well-executed. I am now a fan of Tim Seeley, who brought humanity to the often flat superhero characters. The illustrations brought this story to life with brilliant colors. I will look for more in this series - now I want to go back and read the first two!

No comments:

Post a Comment